June 02, 2008

Finishing the Sawatch Range

There are 15 14,000-foot peaks in the Sawatch Range of Colorado. This weekend, with Ryan's company, I completed the final two. On Saturday we hiked Mt. Huron, which provided spectacular views of much of the Sawatch Range and beyond. I managed a ski descent from the summit, while Ryan worked on his glissading technique.


Upper part of the ski descent


Lower section of the ski descent


The Three Apostles and Ice Mountain from the summit of Mt. Huron

Moving slightly further south on Sunday, we hiked Mt. Antero. There was much less snow here, which was good because we were able to drive to 11,000 feet on the 4-wheel drive road, but bad because a ski descent from the summit was impossible (no continuous snow). I was able to ski from about 13,000 feet, though, saving myself a lot of walking.


Ryan heading up the final climb to the top of Antero


Ski Descent - I came down the chute on the right, which goes up quite a bit higher than shown in the photo.


Creek Crossing at 10,800 feet

Next weekend I'm headed back to the Northwest, where I plan to meet up with Jake and climb Mt. Rainier. I should be well trained with my five 14er ascents over the previous two weekends.

1 comment:

Molly said...

Way to drive through that creek you badass. You looked extremely truck-commercial-manly doing it!