October 30, 2011

Overdue Update and Pumpkins!

Since my last post, I've been out on two outdoor trips with The Overlake School.  The first of these was a 4-day backpacking trip in the Henry M. Jackson Wilderness near Glacier Peak.  We ended up snow camping for two of our three night out and the students seemed to have a good time.


The second trip was last weekend, when I got to dabble in raft guiding.  We did a day trip on the Skagit River, approximately between the towns of Newhalem and Marblemount.  My co-instructor and I took seven students and two faculty members down the river in a paddle boat and an oar rig.  We saw salmon, eagles, hawks, ducks, deer, a bear, and multitudes of dead humpback salmon lining the sides of the river.  I really enjoy working these trips as the students are always great, and it allows me to continue working in outdoor education without the commitment involved with 28-day NOLS courses.


This weekend Ava and I got together with Kris and Mel to hack away at some pumpkins.  I think all holidays should include traditions that involve artwork performed on fruit.  I actually carved two pumpkins as Ava was busy and graciously granted me her pumpkin.

Ava's pumpkin (Lucy), and my pumpkin (Cheshire)

Kris's skull and Mel's ridiculously happy face

No comments: