February 05, 2006

Skiing and Job Offers

Early last week I received two job offers. I'm currently in negotiations with Golder Associates and Tetra Tech RMC. Hopefully by the end of this week I'll have made a decision and I'll update my site with more details then. In either case, I'd begin March 1st.

I finished the rewrite of my thesis on Thursday. My thesis committee will be reading it this week, and I'm hoping to get it bound and signed off sometime next week. I finished just in time to catch the tail end of a good snow storm in the mountains. Skied lots of pow up at Eldora on Friday, and went up to Copper Mountain on Saturday. Good conditions around most of the state, and a good month to have free.

We stayed up in the mountains on Saturday after skiing. It's nice having Dane at his parents vacation home up there and him so willing to share his space. Met up with Walt, a friend who graduated last year in my program, at Copper. He's now living and working in Chicago, but he's made it to Colorado for 6 ski weekends so far this winter. We went out to dinner at the Mint. The Mint has no menu. When you are ready to order, they take you to the meat counter where they have about a dozen selections of cuts ranging from $60 down to $15. Once you've selected your steak of choice, they set it on a plate and hand it to you. There are two large open grills in the restaurant, and it is the purchasers job to then cook the steak as desired. This was the second time I've been to the Mint, and both times the final product has been exquisite. I highly recommend this fine dining establishment to all non-vegetarians. Oh yea, Walt graciously picked up the bill for our party of 8.

1 comment:

Molly said...

So, is the lesson learned there, that once you graduate from your program, you become a nice, rich ski bum, who can afford to ski in Colorado on weekends no matter where you live and take all your friends out for fancy meat? Because THAT sounds exquisite.