October 27, 2015

Sad but Cool

After much deliberation, I've decided to post the video I took of the elk I shot.  This video shows the last few minutes of the bull's life, so if you don't want to see animal death and aren't ready for the unfortunate reality that animals do not die instantly no matter what you shoot them with, don't watch it.

While it is admittedly sad to see such an amazing animal die, it is also pretty unique that I was able to get this footage.  I was about 150 yards away when I saw the bull standing in the field.  By the time I got my tripod set up and camera rolling, it had bedded down.  At first, I wasn't sure if it was the bull I shot, and it actually seemed a little bigger so I was leaning toward it being a different bull.  I eventually noticed signs that it was injured and gradually figured it out.

This footage begins about 45 minutes after my first shot.  Toward the end of the video, you can see part of my second arrow sticking out high on its right side.

I had great difficulty finding a song to put to this as anything remotely happy seemed inappropriate.  For better or worse, I settled on Joshua Bell's sad violin sounds in Elegie-O Douz Printemps d'Autefoix (I can't say it either).



No comments: